Friday, August 1, 2008

The First Day of School

Can you hear that....listen closely...it is the sound of sneakers scuffling along freshly polished floors as students file down the hallway to their classrooms. The day is here and it has come too quickly--the first day of school. Noah, Gracie, and Jaden woke up eagerly this morning to put on their new clothes, eat breakfast, and load up in the van for the new year.


Last night before the kids went to bed, I read them the story, The Kissing Hand. Noah and Gracie have heard this story before, but it was new to Jaden and most closely fit her age since this was her first day of kindergarten. Anyway, as I was reading, I was reassuring Jaden that everything would be okay, just as the mother in the story reassured her little one. At the end of the story, who do you think broke down in tears--it was me! I started balling, Gracie started crying, and Noah and Jaden started being silly as a reaction to my tears (neither of them like to see me cry.) I told them all that I was going to miss them when they went to school but everything was going to be okay. So much for me setting a good example of being strong...

Well, the good news is that no one cried this morning! We dropped Gracie off at her class first. She is going into the second grade and Mrs. Mosley is her teacher.



Next was Noah's turn and he is going into third grade with Mrs. Brazell as his teacher. She was his teacher last year as well and has looped up to the third grade.


Jaden was last to be dropped off to her kindergarten class with Mrs. Vanzant as her teacher.

The house is quiet as Eve is sitting beside me playing with her toys. It's going to take some time for me to get back into the routine of having the kids gone during the day...but if I remember The Kissing Hand I think I'll be okay.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I start Monday, our kids don't start until next week, but it's buzzing with anticipation!