Friday, August 15, 2008

A Pillar of Strength


Do you see that lady? She's my mother. Isn't she attractive? Look at that smile--that is the smile of a woman who is geniuinely happy. What is underneath that outer shell, however, is even more beautiful than what most people have the opportunity to see. When I mother was just a teenager, she met my father. She fell in love and ran away to marry him. By the age of 18, my mother had a family of her own--a husband, my brother, and I. Life for my mother was difficult for many of the obvious reasons that one might think when a couple is faced with these circumstances. But through it all, my mother persevered and fought for her family...and she won. Even though my dad was a presence and supported his family financially, it was my mother who raised us, instilled values in us, and formed who my brother and I are today. She was the epitomy of motherhood.


After my brother and I married and started families of our own, my parents finally had some time to do what they wanted. However, this was all cut short when my father had a stroke and was later diagnosed with lung cancer. My mother again had to take on the role of caregiver as she met the needs of my father who passed away at the young age of 53.


A young woman herself, my mother found love again and is married to a wonderful man, John (pictured here as well), who is giving my mother the life she truly deserves. There isn't enough time for me to take to share all of the sacrifices my mother has made for me, my brother, my father, and many, many more people in her life. Her needs and wants have always been secondary so that everyone else around her could have what they needed. She has lived a selfless life and has given herself to her family so that they could live a more enriching life.
My mother has experienced the pain that results from the death of a spouse, a mother, and brothers...and she still keeps on going. My mother is a pillar of strength...she goes on when she doesn't feel like it and keeps striving to do more. She is my hero...look at her...do you see that in her? I do. That's my mother. I love you, mom.

2 comments:

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

A beautiful post. elaine

Eve said...

Something tells me you are your Mother's daughter in every way. : )