Monday, August 18, 2008

A Strange Compulsion


Yesterday I was at the checkout counter at the grocery store and was engaged in a conversation with the cashier. Eve was sitting in the cart, smiling at the clerk, and attempting to "talk" as well. The cashier was telling me what a sweet baby Eve was and commented on how cute her shoes were. I immediately said, "Thank you. They were only $12.99 at Bealls Outlet...can you believe it?" Whenever someone compliments me or one of my family members on an article of clothing that we are wearing, I always share where I purchased it from and how much it cost. Why do I feel compelled to do this? Is it because I am so "proud" of my good deal that I want everyone to know it or is is some other strange reason? Although I am a bargain shopper by nature and I do like to find items that are on sale, I do buy non-sale items. I learned a long time ago that it is better to purchase exactly what you want than to compromise by buying something similar to what you want but you'll never use. I used to have a closet full of clothes that were almost what I wanted that I never wore because I didn't want to spend the money on the real thing. Nowadays, if I can't afford what I want, I wait to buy until I can afford it. For now, I'll just keep on sharing my good finds with anyone who admires something I buy...and then they can be inspired to find the same bargain!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

HA! I do the same thing. That is, unless it's embarrassing. I thanked my mom once for a gift and she did that to me and I was horrifed that she had only spent $3 on me (or whatever it was). That's rude of me, I know....