Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Vrooooooomm....


I had this dog when I was growing up whose name was Flash. My brother named him this because he was a fast runner (although I swear he named him after the basset hound off of the Dukes of Hazzard but he denies that.) Anyway, Flash was one of those dreadful dogs that chases cars. Whenever a vehicle was approaching we always knew it because Flash would jump up and begin racing the car as it sped down the street. The cars would always win, but Flash was a tenacious dog and never let that stop him from trying to achieve the goal of fastest dog in the neighborhood. Anyway, I thought about poor 'ol Flash (who had gone on to doggie heaven a few years ago after 18 long years of life) when I was vacuuming the floor yesterday. Eve, my nine month old, was on the floor crawling around as I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. As I took out the vacuum to sweep the area rug, I noticed she kept following behind me. With each pass of the vacuum, Eve would change her direction and I started to get choked up thinking that she loves her mommy that much that she's acting like my shadow following me here and there. Well, to my dismay, I found out that it wasn't me she was following, it was the vacuum. Just like Flash, Eve races after the vacuum in an effort to catch the carpet light that is attached to the bottom. Humph! I guess I am in competition with Mr. Hoover for the cooings and droolings of a baby girl...well, that's okay. At the end of the day, it's not a chase after the vacuum this little girl wants, it's a snuggle with mommy. For now, she can chase the vacuum…several years down the road, I know that’s not the only thing she’s going to be chasing!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That is too funny!