Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Pride and Joy

Yesterday Jon and I went to each of our three school-aged children's Award's Day program. I can't express how proud I was to see all three of them being honored for all of their accomplishments this school year. Being a teacher myself, I know that students grow, mature, and learn so much throughout the year, but seeing my own children from the perspective as a mother during these ceremonies was touching.



Jaden's end of the year celebration was first and each student in her class recited a nursery rhyme. Jaden was Little Bo Peep and this is her sporting the costume I made for her to wear. I had big plans on making the dress but instead I just made the hat and pantaloons and used a dress we already had. During the ceremony, Jaden recited her poem verbatim and we were so proud of her. Her class also sung an alphabet song and each student received a certificate. It was absolutely adorable!

Noah's Honor's Day was next and he received the "A" Honor Roll Award and the Voracious Reader Award. The "A" Honor Roll is given to those students who an "A" average for all subjects for the entire year. His teacher gave him the Voracious Reader Award because she said that he is an avid reader and took a lot of Accelerated Reader tests based upon books he had read. We smiled in delight when seeing him receive his awards and he was bubbling with excitement as well.


Last but not least was Gracie's Honor's Day program. She received the Superientendent's Award and the Best Storyteller Award. The Superientendent's Award is given to students who have made all A's every nine weeks in every subject on their report card. This is the most prestigious award given! The Best Storyteller Award was given to Gracie because her teacher said that everyday Gracie would come in sharing a story with her about something that had happened the night before or over the weekend. Instead of simply listening to the stories, Gracie's teacher would encourage her to write her story down in her journal. Yes, Gracie is a little chatterbox and her teacher used this trait for good by doing this. :-) I didn't get a good picture of Gracie and her teacher so the one of them together is from the beginning of school.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of all of you. Great job Noah, Gracie, Jaden, Jon and Heather.

Nana/Mom

Michelle said...

oh my goodness! Noah looks like a little man!! They've all grown so much and are so beautiful!! Congrats.

Anonymous said...

I love you!!!! What a blessing you are.