Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Choices, Choices, Choices!


I am working on my Master's Degree and part of the discussion this week deals with student choice and how giving students the freedom to have some choice in the classroom can be beneficial. Our discussion board has stayed primarily in the realms of choices in the classroom, but some of the posts have ventured into life choices which is yielding a somewhat philosophical tone...and that got me thinking. One of my reply posts said something to the effect that the choices we make in life direct the path in which we travel and I almost said that we "choose our own adventure." From that thought, the nostalgia kicked into high gear and I took a walk down memory lane. Does anyone remember the Choose Your Own Adventure series of books? These books allow the reader to determine the protagonists next course of action by choosing what happens next in the story. At the end of the page/ section of the book, the reader is prompted to select one of two options then turn to the page that is listed (which is super awesome for a kid because the book does not read in order.) Anyway, the books were out of print for several years and just recently they have started republishing them. I am going to buy some for my son because I think he will enjoy reading them. I wish I had mine still from childhood, however, which included about 100 titles (thanks in most part to my Aunt Nair-Nair...she gave me the books when she grew out of them.) Anyway, one thought leads to another and from a discussion board post I threaded myself to a children's book. Well, even if you don't have any children, buy one and read it. It's good, wholesome fun!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I remember those! Course, I did work in a book store...