Saturday, April 19, 2008

Anger Management

I've always had a bit of a temper--even when I was younger. My first distinct memory of out-and-out tantruming isn't as a child, but as a teenager instead. I was in high school in the late 80's and skyscraper hair styles were all the rage...the bigger, the better. I have naturally curly hair so I didn't have to get a perm like most of the girls, but I did have to have it frosted (yes, I said frosted--not highlighted with foils, but pulled through a cap with a knitting needle.) I had THE hair when I was in high school. It was big, bold, and bodacious. Anyway, one morning I was getting ready for school and my hair just wouldn't cooperate. I had my Aqua Net in one hand and sprayed my bangs until they were dripping with hairspray then I held them up with a pick and blew them dry with my hairdryer so that they were standing at attention. My hair had its normal amount of volume, but the shape was just all wrong and my bangs were just not standing the way I wanted. I was infuriated, but there was nothing I could do. My friend was waiting to give me a ride and I didn't have time to wash my hair and start all over again. Instead of chocking it all up to a bad hair day, I went into an all out rage. My mother was sitting at the dining room table listening to my grumbling and was hearing this all unfold. I was getting angrier by the second and finally I had to blow. I began SCREAMING at my mother and my friend (who was nice enough to pick me up and give me a ride to school, if I might add, so I didn't have to ride the bus) while complaining about my hair. I threw my teasing comb, chucked the hairspray can, and kicked the trashcan on the way out of the bathroom. My mom just sat in the dining room and would say to me in a calm voice, "Heather, it looks good. Quit getting so mad," as she puffed religiously on her cigarette and drank her coffee. My tantrum ended and I went to school, but this ritual occurred at least a couple of times a week. Looking back, I wonder why my mom didn't take that coffee cup of hers and whirl it at me when I was acting like a complete idiot...I'll have to ask her that.

2 comments:

Forever Mom said...

OMG...AquaNet was IT! I had to get a perm...a few to be exact before it would hold because my hair was so straight. I had my fair share of tantrums over my hair...makeup...clothes...lol Remember the times when your mom would say..."I hope you have a million of them just like you!" ? Well, all she needed to say is-I hope you have a girl growing up in the 2000's. And oh yeah...you have 3:} I am praying for you girl!

Anonymous said...

Well your hair did look great and the reason I didn't respond to your tantrum was I just wanted you to feel better before you went to school and not worse. You were an awesome child, teenager and now a fine lady and mother and I feel blessed.